The forum is in read only mode and will be closing on March 1st 2017.

We are trying to streamline discussion and feedback through more modern channels.

Please provide feedback and discussions over on www.reddit.com/r/vermintide.

Thank you for your understanding.

The Fatshark Team
Options

Digital Warhammer!

StekkepierStekkepier 175 PointsMember, Level4, Beta Tester

Hello,

I like to say that im a Warhammer fan, but only on PC.

I never took the time to get familiar with the table top games.. 

I find the Warhammer universe exiting, interesting and absolutely love the dark fantasy surrounding it :) 

Are there more digital Warhammer fans here !!?

Comments

• folklorefolklore 47 PointsMember, Level2
    Just joined recently, and I know this is bit of a necro but I rather prefer the games and books over the models myself.  Have you checked gog.com they recently released three classic warhammer pc games, with one in particularly involving a horned rat?
  • StekkepierStekkepier 175 PointsMember, Level4, Beta Tester

I just checked it out.. but these games are a bit to retro for me :P

And I also prefer the games... I was looking for a good warhammer book, do you maybe have some good suggestions ?

( I like the fictional stuff and mostly WH 40.000 )

Depends on your interest areas in WH 40k.  I personally like the horus heresy series, but it's a marathon series that is only getting longer.  If you like the inquisition I recommend Eisenhorn by Dan abnett, for dark eldar I recomend path of the renegade(first in a trilogy).  I've been diving more into the fantasy warhammer with the advent of age of sigmar, the time of legends series is pretty good. 
  • Maverick84Maverick84 69 PointsMember, Level3, Beta Tester
    edited August 2015
    i am mainly digital and book fan of the warhammer series i used to play the tabletop etc when younger but i love the books (literally have a black library of my own lol)

i would recommend the hours heresy series but would suggest starting from the very beginning with the Horus rising novel, also the space marine battle books can be quite good if you just want lots of action etc also the ultramarines books

BUT i think the best series they have made has to be the Gotrek and Felix novels from start all the way to the end times i have enjoyed every single one
    edited August 2015
    Very hard to choose.. there are way to many books..:P ( normally i don't read that much, in fact i don't read @ all ) butt i like the Warhammer universe and maybe i get hooked when i start reading!. 

These books are all in English right !?
    The horus heresy series is really easy to get.  They have most of them on amazon, and are most asuredly in English.  The black library has digital copies of the books you can buy, and outside the first three and maybe a couple others in the series you can pick which books you want to read.  The overall plot line has kind of stalled after isstvan 3 and 5.
  • KináedKináed 33 PointsMember, Level2, Beta Tester
    edited September 2015
    tl;dnr: Recommendations: Eisenhorn Trilogy (Xenos, Malleus, Hereticus), First 4 books of Horus Heresy (Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames). But really, just read whatever interest you most!

Yeah every book should be available in English (Games Workshop is an English company after all!). Of course Black Library (the official site for Warhammer 40k and Fantasy literature) has a terrible search function on their site that is greatly in need of filters. Such that some of the time what you are looking for can be buried between translations into other languages and books that are vaguely related to what you are actually looking for.

I'm pretty new to Warhammer Fantasy, so I can't recommend anything on that front.

As for 40k, I kind of burned myself out on Space Marines. So that undoubtedly strongly affects my opinions on a large portion of Black Library's stock, the Horus Heresy included. That said the first 4 books of the Horus Heresy are great (Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, and Flight of the Eisenstein), and in general work well enough as a prequel to a lot of the events that occur in later novels.

In my opinion the Eisenhorn Trilogy (Xenos, Malleus, and Hereticus) are the only 40k books I can recommend without reservations. Great character, lots of great intrigue, characters, and fun details that a lot of other books might skim over in a rush to get the next action scene. Though they started re-releasing them as separate books, I'd recommend looking for a copy of the Eisenhorn Omnibus if you can. or just grab the Ebooks, if the souls of dead trees speak to you as they do to me...

As for reading in general, it is a good habit to have and there are a ton of benefits that come from it (Such as improved memory, logical thinking, etc). Doesn't matter what you read, how fast you read, just so long as it interests you and you enjoy it!

"Heavy weighs the crown. Low hangs the head who wears it".
    The ravenor series is also great after reading eisenhorn trilogy and then the book pariah to stat off Dan abnetts new work
  • BelialBelial 35 PointsMember, Level2, Beta Tester

The ravenor series is also great after reading eisenhorn trilogy and then the book pariah to stat off Dan abnetts new work

Speaking of Dan Abnett Gaunt's Ghosts deserves a mention. Fantastic series.
    edited September 2015
    U Ain't helping me fellas...  waaay to much Books outthere ;P
    basically anything with dan abnett as the author is a good place to start lol
  • Sam_JSSam_JS 35 PointsMember, Level2, Beta Tester
    I'm an ageing gamer and havee been into TT versions of most of the GW stuff, my passion was painting the figs until I could no longer do so because of failing health but the backgrounf "fluff" is where my heart really lies, Gotrek and Felix are required reading for fantasy and I recon Gaunts Ghosts books give a decent idea of the cruelty of 40k.  I used to even buy codex and army books for armies I was never going to have just to get more info and background, hehe
    Squeak?, what squeak?
  • SejSej 58 PointsMember, Level2
    I've read a fair amount of whats been posted here, but I have to say that one of my favourite series atm is Ahzek Ahriman's books (Exile, Sorcerer, Unchanged, + like 5 short stories which were put together into Exodus). Really engaging and interesting given there are only a few books that delve into the Thousand Sons (I think there was only a few in the Horus Heresy)

I would also recommend any of the Dark Angel books written by Gav Thorpe (Purging of Kadillus, Angels of Darkness, etc). Any of his stuff is good but since I love Dark Angels, it just sells it for me instantly.

If you wanted a longer series about Space Marines look at the Ultramarines series by Graham McNeill. I think it's like up to 6 or 7 books (At least thats how far I've read).

The Ciaphas Cain books. Really nice imo. Follows the story of a Commissar in the Imperial Army, but there are like 12 books or something.

Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett. About an Imperial Regiment called Tanith First and Only. A really good read with a interesting background lore-wise.

If you feel like taking a leap into Fantasy, I would look at the Archaon series (Based right before the End Times), The Empire Army books, Gotrek & Felix books, Mark of Chaos by Anthony Reynolds. Hell there is even a book called Vermintide by Bruno Lee if you're interested.

Either way these are just a few books and series I can recommend off the top of my head, hope that helps :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burn it to the Ground! Raise a Clamour of War and a Pyre of the Dead so that the Gods might notice us!

Just kidding, you're all heretics.
This discussion has been closed.