The forum is in read only mode and will be closing on March 1st 2017.

We are trying to streamline discussion and feedback through more modern channels.

Please provide feedback and discussions over on www.reddit.com/r/vermintide.

Thank you for your understanding.

The Fatshark Team
Options

A Guide To Playing with BOTS

QuanrianQuanrian 117 PointsMember, Level4
Here's 10 hopefully helpful tips for those playing with BOTS.

1. BOTS are jerks and will leave you to die if you're not careful and break away too far or they get distracted.

2. BOTS do not have perfect path finding and lack the ability to jump across many gaps like Skaven do and can leave you potentially undefended and if you are not careful.

3. BOTS will never pick up bombs, ammo or potions.

4. BOTS have almost perfect aim and seemingly unlimited ammo.

5. BOTS use whatever kit that character would use if the host played them because they are the 'hosts' bots.

6. BOTS block as often as they can and should absolutely be used to absorb blows.

7. BOTS tend to perform poorly against Storm Vermin and will usually need help.

8. BOTS should be filling roles just as a player would with an appropriate kit.

9. BOTS cannot come get you after you have died it is simply mission failed when no more players are alive.

10. BOTS will try to kill everything they see but generally take longer at it then a player.

This is far from an exhaustive list but keeping these tips in mind you may just get more use out of bots! ;)
Eat the game before it devours your life!

Comments

• BelmontBelmont 124 PointsMember, Level3
    Perfect Bots Trinkets :

1) Share Heal, because it's the only thing that they will take (& Tomes)
    2) Fish, as it is working with Heal (luck to not consume Heal)
    3) Bonesaw, just in case that a Bot is realizing that you are on the floor, for a fast revive. =))

the best i found but they are the same Dum-Bots after that the Trinkets are equipped :D
    Also known as Seb@s (ID)
  • QuanrianQuanrian 117 PointsMember, Level4
    Yeah, it's kind of funny that much like how Last Stand changes the meta, using BOTS can as well since they have different properties. It is actually a nice and unique touch being able to kit them out as well. I do hope one day they allow them to jump across gaps without having to forcing a teleport as this damn near breaks them on certain levels.
    It has been a while since I originally made this thread so I thought I would add a few tips.

1. BOTS cannot share Health Potions and so you will want to grab those and let the bots grab Health Packs instead as this is the most beneficial to the team.

2. BOTS are not going to grab 'any' health items until 'all' players have so keep this in mind always or you might leave an area without them grabbing Health Packs.

3. BOTS using synergy trinkets (Bonesaw already suggested and 'most' should have this now) will benefit the team tremendously.

4. BOTS 'can' absolutely be used on Hard and up but they will need good kit (Blue or better and useful traits) and fairly good cooperation to do so.

5. BOTS will always draw Aggro and add damage so watching 'what' they are drawing and 'where' they are drawing it to can lead to opportunities on tougher enemies such as Storm Vermin.

Most of these can easily apply to players as well since these are largely to do with being a better cooperative player. I actually did find as I learned to play with BOTS it taught me how to play better with people as well since it tends to break your bad habits. Sorry if this looks like a double post but check the dates and you will see quite a bit of time has passed.
  • GorweGorwe 24 PointsMember, Level2
    I play with bots and have done most of maps on Nightmare with them. Some of them while I didn't have any real items(Green or so). I could write my findings and tips if it'll help someone.
  • DadgumTexanDadgumTexan 23 PointsMember, Level1
    Quanrian said:

It has been a while since I originally made this thread so I thought I would add a few tips.

1. BOTS cannot share Health Potions and so you will want to grab those and let the bots grab Health Packs instead as this is the most beneficial to the team.

2. BOTS are not going to grab 'any' health items until 'all' players have so keep this in mind always or you might leave an area without them grabbing Health Packs.

3. BOTS using synergy trinkets (Bonesaw already suggested and 'most' should have this now) will benefit the team tremendously.

4. BOTS 'can' absolutely be used on Hard and up but they will need good kit (Blue or better and useful traits) and fairly good cooperation to do so.

5. BOTS will always draw Aggro and add damage so watching 'what' they are drawing and 'where' they are drawing it to can lead to opportunities on tougher enemies such as Storm Vermin.

Most of these can easily apply to players as well since these are largely to do with being a better cooperative player. I actually did find as I learned to play with BOTS it taught me how to play better with people as well since it tends to break your bad habits. Sorry if this looks like a double post but check the dates and you will see quite a bit of time has passed.

I cannot stress how many times, while soloing nightmare, how the Bonesaw has saved the team. Should be a staple for nightmare and above solo wise if you have it. The heal all upon healing self trinket is a big help too.

My personal perspective mind you, I find when I run solo nightmare that me playing support for the Bots works much better. I advance slower than when I do with a real team and then aid the Bots rather than vice versa. I have been able to solo all the nightmare maps, but it's iffy on some of the newer maps.
    edited December 2016
    It probably seems like you're going slower but I find a lot of players are actually rushing and costing time anyways when they screw the entire team over.
  • GorweGorwe 24 PointsMember, Level2

Quanrian said:

I cannot stress how many times, while soloing nightmare, how the Bonesaw has saved the team. Should be a staple for nightmare and above solo wise if you have it. The heal all upon healing self trinket is a big help too.

My personal perspective mind you, I find when I run solo nightmare that me playing support for the Bots works much better. I advance slower than when I do with a real team and then aid the Bots rather than vice versa. I have been able to solo all the nightmare maps, but it's iffy on some of the newer maps.
    Which newer maps? I find it that a change of perspective often helps here. I doubt I could solo ALL the maps on Cataclysm, but NiM? No problem. Case in point: The Dungeons. The last fight(Rakogri) requires a shift in decision making. Instead of hunkering down and allowing him(them) to come to you, you need to bunker offensively. Kinda like that Protoss strategy with P.Cannons. He always appears in the northwestern corner(the same corner where all the specials appear). So, you camp there and when he comes: a bunch of attacks + STR pot + backstab + (a bomb). He should be dead by the time when the rat wave appears(some 15-20 seconds later).

But yeah, you've to conform to bots, you can't just give them whatever(or your favorite loadout) and expect to succeed. You also can't really rush etc(I can, but then again, I've 250h with bots-wouldn't recommend it though). And, quite frankly, I think that playing with bots will be more beneficial to you than playing with random PUGs. You'll learn how to pace yourself, what works and what does not work for you, how to cooperate, how to be humble etc. In comparison, PUGs will teach you how to swear and swear profoundly. But then again, I highly distrust PUGs, so...maybe take this with a bag of salt. Because they're out of my control, but like completely.
    edited December 2016
    Really, you have three big worries when playing with bots and this goes with players as well. First, Storm Vermin individually and patrols are going to generally mete out the most damage and cost you the most supplies leaving you little to nothing for other situations. Second, Rat Ogre while manageable can be very problematic on Nightmare as bombing them for stuns is likely to kill your team off as well. Third, I have found a major issue with bots rushing an exploding Globadier to be beyond frustrating at times and requires swift 'ranged' removal to prevent. In all these situations, you are both needed to be crucial in removal as well as survive with a fair amount of health and 'that' is where the issue lies. I cannot tell you how many times I got so close but I just got worn down because I was drawing so much aggro.
  • TheWiseTheWise 54 PointsMember, Level3
    Rather good guide - up to Hard the bots can be even better, than living players (happened to me several times). I've got some observations about running with bots as well:
    - the Witch Hunter is nearly never taken as a bot;
    - the Witch Hunter is the most silent character - nearly never heard him shouting about bombs, medical supplies and potions found;
    - looks, like the better you (living player) play - the better the bots do (may be mistaken);
    The Witch Hunter is never a bot 'unless' a player comes in as one and then leaves. I suspected the latter part for a while but never seen it in practice until very recently. If doing better leans heavily towards team work then yes bots can do fairly well. You should at the least try keeping your bots out of the gray. Simple fact, you cannot teach or need to teach bots they just do and this is not the case with players. Still, you're going to end up doing every objective yourself and be limited to one bomb for any situation so it can get pretty rough if you're not a Skaven killing machine yourself.
  • TheWiseTheWise 54 PointsMember, Level3
    Quanrian said:

The Witch Hunter is never a bot 'unless' a player comes in as one and then leaves. I suspected the latter part for a while but never seen it in practice until very recently. If doing better leans heavily towards team work then yes bots can do fairly well. You should at the least try keeping your bots out of the gray. Simple fact, you cannot teach or need to teach bots they just do and this is not the case with players. Still, you're going to end up doing every objective yourself and be limited to one bomb for any situation so it can get pretty rough if you're not a Skaven killing machine yourself.

In fact - yes, the only bomb for each and every situation and necessity to carry barrels/sacks/statues and stand on the plate on the Chain of Fire personally are the only claims to the bots currently. Until Hard inclusively (and I don't stick my nose any higher).
This discussion has been closed.