The forum is in read only mode and will be closing on March 1st 2017.

We are trying to streamline discussion and feedback through more modern channels.

Please provide feedback and discussions over on www.reddit.com/r/vermintide.

Thank you for your understanding.

The Fatshark Team
Options

Morrslieb - The Chaos Moon in the End Times

Greetings all.

I am sure I am not the only person who has noticed just how prominent Morrslieb seems to be in the night sky in the game. Thus far I think the developers have done a good job of giving it a proper visual menace (albeit lacking in more chaotic effects such as leering faces). For those folk unaware of the importance, or shall we say impact, of the Chaos Moon in the setting, I thought I would prepare a little bit of a lore entry here to entertain and educate.

Origin and a brief History of the Chaos Moon

Morrslieb, while one of the moons of the world, is not a natural satellite of the world. It was vomited out into reality from one (or both ) of the Chaos Gates of the world that exist at the poles. Morrslieb, known very properly as the Chaos Moon, has a long and a sinister history in the Warhammer Fantasy world. For starters, its orbit is highly erratic and unpredictable. Fitting for a celestial body made entirely out of warpstone. Astronomers who have attempted to study Morrslieb in close detail, usually go mad, as the light of the moon (focused through a telescope) is enough to cause insanity, mutations and even death.

Warpstone meteorites (single-body and showers) occasionally fall upon the world. While some of these may be new ejecta from the warp gates, many of them are likely fragmentary bodies left over from the creation of Morrslieb itself. As the chaos moon would also be highly unstable, both due to its volatile nature as well as its unusual orbit, it is not impossible that the moon itself may periodically shed material which can fall down upon the world it orbits.

Every culture on the world has been influenced by the moon, for good or ill. In the Empire, the moon is one of ill-omen (of course) and treated with suspicion. Despite its eccentric orbit, there are certain nights or times of the year when it seems more prominent in the sky; usually times of ill-omen when it is thought the forces of Chaos have a greater grip upon the world. Some cultures, particularly the Goblins of the World's Edge Mountains, worship aspects of the moon, seeing it as a manifestation of one of their primitive gods. The crescent moon with a face standards and totems they bear are representative of this fact.

Skaven and the Chaos Moon (slight spoilers)

The Skaven, who are voraciously hungry (as a society) for warpstone, for various reasons, have always had a strong fascination with Morrslieb. They have long suspected it's material composition and have sought to acquire it for a very long time. In the Warhammer Fantasy End Times event from a couple of years ago, the Skaven managed to have a major influence upon the Chaos Moon.

In brief? The Skaven blew up the moon, in order to (intentionally) cause parts of it to rain down upon the world; to destroy their enemies as well as to provide the opportunity to harvest the material resources left behind. Suffice it to say, if there are any warpstone meteor showers during Vermintide, do not be too surprised (or warp lighting storms).

Your guess is as good as mine as to whether we will see anything become of the moon during the course of the game. However that particular event may be better left to a major expansion or a sequel, for the sake of lore and future development.
This discussion has been closed.