The forum is in read only mode and will be closing on March 1st 2017.

We are trying to streamline discussion and feedback through more modern channels.

Please provide feedback and discussions over on www.reddit.com/r/vermintide.

Thank you for your understanding.

The Fatshark Team
Options

Warhammer 40k Eternal Crusade

VictorVictor 94 PointsFatshark
Anyone looking forward to some SpaceMarine mayhem?
In that case check out bE Haviours Eternal Crusade over at:
Game Designer at Fatshark. Its all my fault.

Comments

• StekkepierStekkepier 175 PointsMember, Level4, Beta Tester
    I've seen some footage.. they have a long way to go if u ask me.. but that doesn't mean its gonna be bad !! we just have to wait and see :)
  • GarranGarran 54 PointsMember, Level2, Beta Tester
    Been keeping tabs on it for months, looks very promising & they have weekly twitch session updates which is always nice *hint hint*
  • BlondieBlondie 412 PointsAdministrator, Fatshark
    Garran said:

Been keeping tabs on it for months, looks very promising & they have weekly twitch session updates which is always nice *hint hint*

I'd love to do consistent streams or videos on the content going forward. Maybe not weekly, but something :)
    Livestream Producer / IT-Technician | @ omfgblondie
  • Maverick84Maverick84 69 PointsMember, Level3, Beta Tester
    i think they have bit off more than they can chew

i hope it does not go the way of the dodo like the previous 40k mmo :(

• KináedKináed 33 PointsMember, Level2, Beta Tester
    edited September 2015
    I agree, EC always seemed to me like a very over ambitious project. While it is slowly grounding itself, they are scaling back a lot on what they probably intended, and in the eyes of a lot of people promised

I guess if what they can deliver is a better realised version of the Multiplayer from Space Marine, and then use that as a framework to build on they would be on the right track. As it stands it looks more and more to me like they are just recreating it.

To Behaviors credit they have at this point shown more of Eternal Crusade than we ever got to see of the three iterations of Dark Millennium Online. *Sigh*

"Heavy weighs the crown. Low hangs the head who wears it".
    Yeah

Although they promised open world from the start and then changed it (apparently because of the technology) they have said they will be adding it in and apparently up to 500 player battles eventually

I love space marine and enjoyed the multiplayer (still play now and then) so if the multiplayer is similar I don't mind lol as long as they build on it and not just copy
  • StekkepierStekkepier 175 PointsMember, Level4, Beta Tester
    edited September 2015

• JermatooJermatoo 22 PointsMember, Level1
    Been following this project since it was first announced. I never put any money down for one of the founders packs since they seem to be fairly far from anything playable just yet. I've watched pretty much all the streams either from past broadcasts on youtube or when I can watch them on twitch. I don't mind how long it takes for them to make this, I just want there to be a good warhammer mmo.
    they seem to keep saying they will not be adding certain things into the game etc now as well so i am really losing hope for this
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 79 PointsMember, Level3, Beta Tester
    Founder access starts on Monday! They are going to test a vertical slice of the game with emphasis on getting the shooting right first.

See you there.=]
  • woodelfgladeriderwoodelfgladerider 22 PointsMember, Level1, Beta Tester
    Im so ready for Eternal Crusade! just wish I could play my Eldar on there instead of Space Marines or Chaos! 
  • BongWaterOnTheRocksBongWaterOnTheRocks 22 PointsMember, Level1, Beta Tester
    It's a shame, I've lost all interest since they gave open world the axe. If they bring it back down the road I'll be more then happy to get back into it.

For the rest of you founders, hope you enjoy the early access!
  • Alluvian_Est_EndratiAlluvian_Est_Endrati 91 PointsMember, Level2
    Once bitten, twice shy. My fan experiences with Warhammer-themed MMOs thus far has been quite dismal.

I loved the concept behind the initial Warhammer Fantasy MMO, which would have been closer to the Roleplaying game. Alas that died in production, but thematically it was on the right track.

WAR had a good premise, to focus more on cooperative PvP and PvP. Alas development decisions late in the process (such as eliminating the other capitals) caused a player crunch effect, instead of keeping the conflict spread out. This and other problems lead to its demise, though certain aspects of the game were quite fun.

Dark Millennium? Looked lovely, especially once the Titans were shown off. Bang, dead.

Eternal Crusade really needs to impress me before I pay more attention. At this stage of development things are far too early to muster interest. The scope of their concept is pretty large, and I am wondering if they can pull it off. I am looking forward to seeing how the Chaos and Eldar factions flesh out however.
  • SkollSkoll 33 PointsMember, Level1
    Eternal Crusade right now is in a very rough state, but they are doing a ton of updates to it and with some care it can be a worthy successor to Space Marine. That seems to be all anyone wanted anyway.
  • PaulehPauleh 29 PointsMember, Level2, Beta Tester
    Skoll said:

Eternal Crusade right now is in a very rough state, but they are doing a ton of updates to it and with some care it can be a worthy successor to Space Marine. That seems to be all anyone wanted anyway.

I'm pretty sure everyone was wanting Planetside 2 + Warhammer 40k, atleast that's how it was advertised back then, I know that's what I was looking forward to. (If I wanted Space Marine I'd go play Space Marine).
  • SkollSkoll 33 PointsMember, Level1
    I don't think Planetside 40k is going to happen, especially since bE seem to be realists and scaled back their scope. Maybe someday in the future, but who knows?

Also, I'm pleased that you were erected herald for all and speak to not everyone wanting Space Marine the MMO. I mean, it isn't universally hailed as the best 40k game or anything like that.
  • ToutatrixToutatrix 176 PointsMember, Level4
    edited October 2015
    He may no be the herald, he's right though. This game was firstly advertised as a planetside 2 in the wh40k universe : offering large scaled battles in a wide open world (thanks to their so called awesome pico technology) as heavily inspired from the space marine combat mechanics.

It was never been about playing an ugly version of space marine including tyranids, vehicles and featuring 50v50 instanced battles at beast. I guess not everyone is as good as sony was...

Hence a lots of players don't even bother waiting for this game anymore, including me : I barely follow the news.
    Suffer not exploiters to loot. Burn the lame players, kill the skaven and purge the bugs.
    Most awaited new heroes :
    1- warrior priest of Sigmar
    2- wood elf wardancer/eternal guard
    3- bretonnian questing knight
    http://forums.fatsharkgames.com/discussion/1514/future-classes-i-d-like-to-play#latest
  • ZymranZymran 12 PointsMember, Level1
    edited October 2015
    That game looks more like Space Marine 2 with more races and bigger maps.
    Played it once. For like nine minutes. Uninstalled it. Although I'm a founder I just couldn't bother anymore
    Success is measured in blood; yours or your enemy's
  • VlasVlas 22 PointsMember, Level2
    Well, I play Planetside 2, which is an MMOFPS that is the only MMOFPS that I know of that is actually open world.

They do have limits of 2k people on each continent/map, but that is still a really large amount of people.

The bandwidth needed is pretty enormous and I think one of the larger drains on these types of games. But the better the netcode/bandwidth the more fun the game.

I bring this up, because I know it is possible to come up with an MMOFPS that has large amounts of people on at the same time.

In the same vein, DAoC had about 2k people in an area before servers crashed, and that was in 2002.

I have not followed this for a few years because it would be too much on me to watch it develop and to dream of great things for so long. Much like Star Citizen.

But it is looking better than what they started out with.
  • TheDementedRavenTheDementedRaven 39 PointsMember, Level2
    Hm, I'm not sure. I was once hyped over a Warhammer 40k MMO but with all this craziness, I've just lost interest.
    It was "Yay" at first when another team decided to give making a W40k MMO a try as the previous one fell through, but when I seen prototype footage, It kinda seemed like "dat space marine gaem" for the 360 that didn't do so well.

If they do a 40k MMO, They need to do it right.
    Wife of "Blood_Claw" <3
    Gaming Madness here: https://www.youtube.com/TheDementedRaven
    :D
  • RebaillionRebaillion 22 PointsMember, Level1
    I remember popping into this a year or so ago and I felt it "had promise".
    Ultimately this is the problem with a lot of games using either of the Warhammer IP's. they have promise but with all the lore and baggage of what people expect it is difficult to live up to that promise.

If you are going to do a 40k MMO, then the best way to do it is something similar to Vermintide or Quake, with maps and ready rooms, because that makes it easy to do the kill stuff with guns thing without one class or another massively outbalancing the others.

If you are going to do a 40k MMORPG it gets trickier. You have to appease so many different people. You have to appease the IP holder that you are doing their product justice, you have to appease the lore monkey who knows even the contradictory bits of lore, and you have to appease the armchair generals who want to see a representation of their favourite unit in the game.

I've been trying to come up with a way that could theoretically work, but the best that I can come up with is firstly, not have Space Marines playable at the start. Second don't cast the net too broad in the first instance, which was one of the killing problems of WAR. They simply ran out of time in development to do everything properly.

I know it sounds that I'm turning against the tenet of "Everyone seeing their favourite unit" but in an MMORPG you join the action as newbies, you discover something, it builds up. Space Marines don't arrive to sunny skies and birds singing. They arrive because the sky has already fallen, something so bad has happened that the Special Forces are required. I propose Space Marine Characters unlocking when you have already completed the "first" story with your base characters which may or may not take them to max level and then Space Marine or eg. Aspect Warrior (my Eldar favouritism) carries on. However, the "Space Marine" cannot do the instances you started out with and all loot for them is in the end game instances, Space Marines don't do house hold chores. In these end game instances there is also loot for the people who choose not to play "space marines".
  • KommissarKommissar 211 PointsMember, Level4, Beta Tester
    It comes this month to Steam Early access :D
    25th Jan
    It cost than regular 60 euro/dollar?
    If you buy it know from the hp it only cost 35 euro for me :D
    Go Hard or Go Home

• KommissarKommissar 211 PointsMember, Level4, Beta Tester
    If someone interested to play it , here is my recruitment link :D

EC-1TNYE5XNVUPIY

you get some dope shit for the ingame store who is coming soon
    Go Hard or Go Home

This discussion has been closed.