The forum is in read only mode and will be closing on March 1st 2017.

We are trying to streamline discussion and feedback through more modern channels.

Please provide feedback and discussions over on www.reddit.com/r/vermintide.

Thank you for your understanding.

The Fatshark Team
Options

Repeater Pistol/Handgun - any use at all?

JLBJLB 91 PointsMember, Level4
I play the WH and Kruber a lot, and I've tried out all their weapons. Of those, the Repeaters stand out as kind of... dubiously useful. In my experience, they're inaccurate, low-damage, misfiring (?) ammo hogs that don't perform nearly as well as the pistols do. Emptying a barrel into a packed horde will barely do as much damage as two blunderbuss shots, or the same 8 pistol rounds. The secondary fire option also seems borderline useless, it doesn't pierce or deal that much more damage to warrant eating away your entire magazine. So far the only use for these weapons that I can gather is to get rid of non-Stormvermin/Gunner specials, and maybe shoot the ogre.

Am I missing something? I think I might be. So far the only Repeater that worked half decently was a very very very fortunate blue drop for the WH that pierced targets and reloaded 50% more quickly.

Comments

• pierceheadpiercehead 38 PointsMember, Level2
    The WH Repeater is a whole different experience than the Soldier's. The Soldier's will happily 1-shot trash with body shots and stay fairly accurate at long range while spamming the trigger. The secondary fire is totally useless though.
  • JLBJLB 91 PointsMember, Level4

The WH Repeater is a whole different experience than the Soldier's. The Soldier's will happily 1-shot trash with body shots and stay fairly accurate at long range while spamming the trigger. The secondary fire is totally useless though.

Wasn't the thing with me. Still a two-shot with the Soldier's repeater, even on Normal. And that's a green one. Something feels off.
  • huebihuebi 43 PointsMember, Level2
    The Soldiers repeater is pretty good, I use a blue one with increased ammo. Since it has armor pen, I can use it against stormvermins and generally against specials. I like that thing more than my orange handgun, since the reload is too high in many situations.

You have to keep in mind, that the HP increases a bit with the difficulty you play, a green gun might let you onshot on one difficulty, but not on the next, so you better find an upgrade. Also keep in mind that handguns on some classes are basically a secondary weapon, whereas you are supposed to deal the main damage with it with other classes. I use the soldier most of the time as a pure tank (since almost every game I start has no dwarf).
  • Wo0dGlueWo0dGlue 81 PointsMember, Level3
    Ursula, Kruber's exotic repeater is one of the best weapons in the game if you get good upgrades and can devastate hordes even on Nightmare. Secondary fire is great for Rat ogres, since they're practically impossible to miss.
  • ScurvydogScurvydog 46 PointsMember, Level2
    WH repeater seems completely useless. Got an exotic one and tested it some, and it just feels hopelessly bad compared to brace of pistols and for special sniping even crossbow better with a fair aim. Gambled with 4 blue pistol braces and 1 repeater and got that exotic repeater... the wrath of RNGesus, I felt it.
  • NulgaraNulgara 99 PointsMember, Level3
    the WH repeater imo is really only good against minions in normal fire mode, even with ammo clip mod its spread is so bad that it wont 1 shot a stormvermin unless you get a perfect headshot which inside a horde is not the easiest thing to do. also hitting anything but wall over 15 feet away is a pretty tall order.

So I agree brace of pistols and crossbow are far superior on the WH than the repeater. on the soldier i use the regular handgun cause of its ability to snipe so cant talk from personal use but in many groups i see it used and it destroys herds of stuff on nightmare with ease.
    Decapitator of StormVermin, Bane of RakOgri
    So you want to play on Nightmare+? or do you and have some tips for others stop by this thread and help turn it into a decent guide of how to get into the difficult content forums.fatsharkgames.com/discussion/2777/being-a-help-and-not-a-hinderance-on-nightmare#latest
  • TheWallTheWall 99 PointsMember, Level3
    I agree with Nulgara, in my hands, it's mediocre, but I have seen other players run around like it was a street sweeper, just plowing the road... In lower difficulties is where it feels more at home for me though.
  • MrNajsmanMrNajsman 111 PointsMember, Level3
    Wo0dGlue said:

Ursula, Kruber's exotic repeater is one of the best weapons in the game if you get good upgrades and can devastate hordes even on Nightmare. Secondary fire is great for Rat ogres, since they're practically impossible to miss.

I dropped that very one yesterday and am curious how good it is. Haven´t tried it yet.
    It got Skull Cracker (chance to auto-headshot), Targeteer (reduced spread) and something about ammo so the traits seem useful.
  • JLBJLB 91 PointsMember, Level4
    In the meantime, I've been trying them out some more. You people are right - Kruber's is good. Even a green one rips a regular rat apart, on Hard even. The WH's, though...

You know, I really would love to know how people can kill more than 4 rats with a single clip, because I tried. I really tried. I am convinced, this weapon is misfiring. Sometimes I shoot and nothing happens, my target doesn't even react. Ridiculous. This has to be broken. Unfortunately, if there's a way to make Victor's work, I'll have to wait, because I repurposed it into an orange conflagration staff.
  • MrNajsmanMrNajsman 111 PointsMember, Level3
    edited October 2015
    JLB said:

In the meantime, I've been trying them out some more. You people are right - Kruber's is good. Even a green one rips a regular rat apart, on Hard even. The WH's, though...

Sounds promising for my orange :)
    JLB said:

You know, I really would love to know how people can kill more than 4 rats with a single clip, because I tried. I really tried. I am convinced, this weapon is misfiring. Sometimes I shoot and nothing happens, my target doesn't even react. Ridiculous. This has to be broken. Unfortunately, if there's a way to make Victor's work, I'll have to wait, because I repurposed it into an orange conflagration staff.

I´ve noticed missfiring too, I think the hit detection is a bit glitchy. Yesterday I stood still and fired my handgun at point blank range at a gutter runner slicing my friend. Usually it´s a oneshot kill, at the very least they roll off. This one didn´t even flinch and it wasn´t the first time.
  • VallettaValletta 75 PointsMember, Level3
    I got some exotic pistols for the WH and they are pretty fun to use. Once you learn how to fire 2 shots at once you can wreck.
  • NoromizNoromiz 190 PointsMember, Level4, Beta Tester
    Kruber's Repeater Handgun = The most perfect piece of machinery the Warhammer universe have ever seen, damn I love that gun.
    Victor's Repeater Pistol = Fun with speed boost potions, but extraordinarily useless compared to the Brace of Pistols, and far to inaccurate to be compared to the Crossbow.

I must admit that I thought their Repeater's were the same ones, but I have never been more wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Known as Don Karnage ingame.
    If you are new to the game, you could always look up this guide Pest Control, a quick start guide to Vermintide or one of the other guides, since they will most often answer your questions :)
  • command_codescommand_codes 51 PointsMember, Level3
    edited December 2015
    The Soldier repeater needs to be high quality for the difficulty level before Soldier becomes ranged trash dps. Otherwise even trash takes two shots. It has basically the same stats as brace of pistols

I'm really enjoying my exotic Blunderbuss / exotic Sword + Shield combo. The fast reload override and the fast punch spam & dodge smashing into the enemy is glorious. That being said, most likely I will switch to the exotic Repeater, that is whenever I get one. For super try hard carry mode the Handgun for special sniping is probably best
  • DragoNDragoN 165 PointsMember, Level4
    Have all those and still stick with 2h hammer and handgun. Both for soldier and dwarf. Play styles...
  • KelloggsKelloggs 71 PointsMember, Level2
    Repeater is supposed to be short distanced. It's good for clearing chasing rats. It kills Ogre fast. May not be good for Specials.
    If you're in the back of the team, it will be very helpful. If you're a forward, it can clear oncoming rats with 1 shot mostly, then do the rest with your melee. Best to leave Special spawns to a long-shotter like the handgun.
    edited December 2015
    Soldier Repeater is longer range than Pistols. Red Soldier Repeater even has 40% reduced spread to emphasize this. For what it's worth
  • Scifi_ToiletScifi_Toilet 79 PointsMember, Level3
    I think it might be the worst ranged weapon in the game. All the staffs are better, all the dwarf's options are better, all the WH's other options are better, all the soldiers options are better and all the bows are better. Repeater pistol is a swift bow that you have to reload and has so much recoil for how little dmg it does.

It still has marginal use tho. Its best use is for speed runs. No movespeed penalty and it stuns with small knockback., but how many people speed run this game?
    "Its no use staring at the healing items, hurry up ... no man, i dont need that shit, lets go!"
  • TheWiseTheWise 54 PointsMember, Level3
    My personal incentive to use both these weapons is - thery are armor-piercing by default, being at the same time fast enough for dealing with regular enemies.
    edited March 2016
    Actually I realized the repeater pistol is pretty damned good. The soldier repeater however is garbage, despite being a brace of pistols with more ammo, mobility, and you have to reload

Maybe there is a combination of traits that will fix that
This discussion has been closed.